Oct 10, 2016

Crime prevention, volunteering and a City Commissioner visit!

The Mt. Scott-Arleta Neighborhood Association October board meeting was packed full of opportunities to get involved this month, as well as a detailed discussion of crime prevention and problem-solving around livability issues.  See what we talked about:

October 5, 2016 – Mt Scott-Arleta Neighborhood Association Board minutes
Board members in attendance: Gus Cole-Kroll, Erika Wilson, Andrew Cecka, Scott Vala, Daniel Portis-Cathers, Nicole Green, Meghan Humphreys, Jed Roberts (plus about 20 additional attendees)

Solar power letter of support for Environment Oregon.  This would be showing support for household solar and community solar.  The idea would be that anyone who does not have appropriate roof space or were low-income could still benefit from solar power at a non-home community location with larger numbers of panels. Andrew motioned, and Nicole seconded, and the board approved it unanimously.

SE Uplift update – Scott briefed the group on the SEUL board meeting that happened this week. Most of the recent meeting covered the Powell-Division Rapid Transit planning process, which is now focusing on Division exclusively. Recently taken off the table was the route going through Mt Hood Community College. SEUL is not supporting it in its current form due to those changes, and TriMet didn’t really address the concerns SEUL raised. There were some issues raised about crime and some campers that have been staying at a couple parks in SE Portland.

Land Use / Transportation – had a committee meeting last week. Residential Infill project is creating guidelines for what infill homes can be built, how narrow lots can be developed, and many other housing issues.  This group took public comment in September, and will be making a recommendation to City Council. To see the recommendations, go to the City of Portland’s Planning and Sustainability website. Nov. 9th will be a hearing at City Council on the recommendations.
There is also the Comprehensive Plan review happening now – involving zoning changes that have already been sent by mail to home / property owners.  Anyone who got the letter can make comment on the Map App for the Comprehensive Plan review, or go to the Bureau Planning of Sustainability where you can make a comment on the Map itself. Oct. 6th and 13th are hearings before City Council.
Vision Zero action plan has been released by the City of Portland – outlines actions that the city will take to reduce traffic fatalities. There is also a list of zoning changes related to trees and how they are treated by the City.

Arleta Triangle – Meghan gave an update on last Saturday of the month work parties.  Last one for this year will likely be held the last Saturday of October.

Communications – Cider Press Event – Oct 29th and 30th from 10-3 at the Portland Mercado. We will be getting apples through Portland Fruit for a good price. Dan does not have the press rented yet. Publicity about the event can start – Erika will confirm the dates with Dan; we may need a couple folks to pass them around and post at locations.

Halloween Party – N.A. volunteers to sell concessions to folks at their event. It is from 6-8 pm on Oct 29th.

Neighborhood Social – possibly to talk about crime prevention, neighborhood watch training, foot patrols, etc. Erika will lead the effort to have a social in November (preferably) or December.
Safety concerns brought by several neighbors in attendance were discussed – there is one particular area in need of crime prevention and attention. Erika will invite our crime prevention specialist to our Neighborhood Social. Erika asked what stance SEUL will take regarding crime and additional police hiring and funding. Scott said that there was no clear stance, but issues including Springwater Corridor have been discussed at the SEUL meeting, and some ideas for dealing with livability concerns are shared, but no major stance has taken.

Scott said that SEUL is going to take a Neighborhood Summit / Social and turn it into something driven by the Neighborhood Associations. There was general support for the idea at the N.A. level as well.  One neighbor asked if we could set up a neighborhood watch training through Maria, our neighborhood safety specialist. Many neighbors have already asked for help with drug activity near their homes, but it has not been effective to this point, and they’re looking for more solutions.

Commissioner Visit -- Amanda Fritz visited the neighborhood association meeting to talk about Measure 26-178 (Metro levy for operations of greenspaces); 26-179 Affordable Housing – to ask for funding to build 1300 affordable units that the City would then own; 26-180 3% tax on recreational marijuana to fund a special drug / alcohol enforcement, police enforcement, assistance to small neighborhood businesses.

New public campaign finance system is coming up for consideration – new type of system that’s been used in New York for three decades. It diversifies the people who run for office (at least in New York.)  The first $50 donated will be matched by the City to total $300.  That will be voted on by the City Council rather than on the ballot in November.  

Meeting adjourned at 8:20 pm.
Meeting minutes submitted by Meghan Humphreys, Secretary

Oct 4, 2016

Neighborhood Meeting Tomorrow (October 5th) 6:30 pm

Hi Neighbors:

See below for the agenda for tomorrow's meeting. Commissioner Fritz will be joining us.  We hope to get the word out on a Cider Press event later this month. We will give you the full details later this week. Also, we might plan on having a late fall/winter neighborhood social.  We haven't had one for a while.

10 5 16 MSANA Agenda by Mt. Scott-Arleta Neighborhood Association on Scribd

Jul 5, 2016

July Neighborhood Meetings This Wednesday!

Hello Neighbors:

We have a July Neighborhood Meeting this Wednesday (July 6th) starting at 6:30pm at Mt. Scott Community Center (poolside room). 

This weekend we will be holding a Cider Press fundraiser at Portland Fruit Company (81st & Foster Road).  If you like fresh squeezed apple juice, come and get some! Suggest donation of $6.00 for a half gallon and $11.00 for a gallon. Feel free to use your growlers too!   Please tell your friends. 

We are coordinating a neighborhood meeting with REACH CDC, to discuss the future plans of the vacant lot at 72nd and Foster Road (across from the Mercado).  As soon as we work out the details, we will you all know!

Hope to see you this Wednesday evening or this Saturday or Sunday at the Portland Fruit Company!

July Ms an a Agenda 2016 by Mt. Scott-Arleta Neighborhood Association

Apr 21, 2016

2016 Neighborhood Clean-Up Cancelled

Dear Neighbors:

I know that many of you are disappointed about the annual Clean-Up being cancelled this year.  I am too.  New regulations came out this year and our board as well as Foster-Powell have decided to see how these new changes are affecting other clean-up activities in the city.  Foster-Powell and MSA signed a joint letter to Metro, Office of Neighborhood Involvement and Southeast Uplift addressing our concerns. We hope that his is only a hiccup and plan to move forward again next year. It wasn't just Foster-Powell and MSA who decided to cancel, other neighborhoods have too (North Tabor, Mt. Tabor, Hosford Abernethy) . Our neighborhood volunteer who spearheads this effort has been leading this event in the neighborhood for 18 years!  Thank you, Shawna!

Information on other Clean-Up events can be found here: http://www.seuplift.org/what-we-do/neighborhood-cleanups/

Here's the letter we sent. 

April 15, 2016

City of Portland
Office of Neighborhood Involvement
Attn: Amalia Alarcon de Morris
1221 SW Fourth Avenue, Suite 110
Portland, OR 97204

Metro Regional Center
Attn: Kim Waxler  
600 NE Grand Avenue
Portland, OR 97232

Southeast Uplift
Attn: Anne Dufay
3534 SE Main Street
Portland, OR 97214

Re: New Regulations for Neighborhood Clean-Ups

Dear Neighborhood Clean-Up Partners:

The neighborhoods of Foster-Powell and Mt. Scott-Arleta collaborate every year to support the annual Clean-Up event. The annual Clean-Up is the biggest fundraiser for both neighborhood associations. We are disheartened that we decided to cancel it this year due to recent changes.

Metro is requiring that neighborhood association and our volunteers certify that drop-box loads of construction, remodeling or demolition debris are asbestos free. Every year, we receive loads of construction/remodeling debris. In fact, we believe that we will see fewer loads and neighbors participating in this event if we can’t accept construction debris -- not only in our neighborhoods but in all neighborhoods participating this year.  Loads of construction and demolition debris brought in by haulers will be thoroughly screened for asbestos by transfer station staff. Loads with any material suspected of containing asbestos without proper documentation will be turned away, and neighborhoods could face fines of anywhere between $2,000-$8,000.  Metro expects untrained community volunteers to analyze waste at the point of drop-off with the same level of expertise as professional staff are going to analyze waste at the point of delivery and the potential fine could ultimately wipe out our financial budgets.  

Does Metro, ONI or SEUL plan in the future holding a volunteer training event for those who will be checking loads at neighborhood clean-ups for construction debris that may contain asbestos? Or, will Metro, ONI, SEUL provide trained staff and/or volunteers at neighborhood clean-up events to certify that construction debris in car/truck loads do not contain asbestos? At this time the Foster-Powell and Mt. Scott-Arleta neighborhood associations are concerned that without the opportunity to collect construction materials we will lose revenue on this event and it may not be worth providing this program to our neighbors.

We hope that Metro, ONI and Southeast Uplift will provide us with additional data this year on clean-up events.  We would like to know the following:
  • How many neighborhoods are partaking in clean-up events this year compared to last year
  • If neighborhood participation in these events is down this year compared to previous years is it because of this new rule?
  • How many dumpsters are filled and hauled away at each event
  • Information on what other neighborhoods associations are charging; and
  • A list of best practices that other neighborhoods are using to ensure that no asbestos debris is being taken in and hauled to a Metro transfer station.

We are hoping with more data and information we can make better future informed decisions on how to hold a clean-up in the future, how we need to advertise these new changes to our community members, and  how to train volunteers, etc.  We hope that this event will be a continued success for us and look forward to learning from other neighborhoods who have decided to move forward with hosting a clean-up this year.

On behalf of the Foster-Powell and Mt. Scott-Arleta Neighborhood Associations

Brian Balla, FPNA Chair                    Erika Palmer-Wilson, MSA Chair  
Brian Balla                                              Erika Palmer-Wilson
Foster-Powell Chair                               Mt. Scott-Arleta Chair

Apr 4, 2016

Neighborhood Meeting this Wednesday, April 6th 6:30 pm at MSCC

Hello Neighbors:

We will offer child care this Wednesday and hopefully for upcoming neighborhood meetings as well, if you would like to come. We will need to know one week ahead of time if you need this service and you can email chair.msana@gmail.com.

 We are looking for neighbors who are interested in serving on the board. We will have vacancies this upcoming year -- don't be scared you can do it, and we are or at least try to be fun. If you are interested in serving as the Chair or Co-Chair, Land Use Chair, or at large position, we have plenty of seats at the table. Have idea or a project for the neighborhood, come share!

 We will be discussing the Annual Neighborhood Clean-Up this upcoming Wednesday. Clean-up rules have changed this year and neighborhood coordinators have had concerns. Both Foster-Powell and MSA have decided to not host the clean-up this year due to these changes. Both neighborhoods will be submitting a letter to our partnering agencies (Metro, City of Portland, Southeast Uplift). We will be sending out a list of other clean-ups in the area and we hope to be back at it again next year. Both neighborhoods recognize the many benefits of hosting a clean-up day for neighbors to haul away junk.

Hope to see you Wednesday evening and enjoy the sunshine later this week.

Mar 13, 2016

What happened at our last Neighborhood Association Board Meeting?

Hello, Mt. Scott-Arleta Neighbors:

Want to know what is being discussed at your Neighborhood Association Board meetings?  Maybe thinking about how you can make our neighborhood an even better place?  Check out the minutes from our March meeting, and don't miss the next meeting, the first Wednesday of April, 6:30 p.m. on April 6th, at the Mt. Scott Community Center.  We are making plans to offer child care for those who want to use it to attend the meeting.

Read the minutes at Scribd.com...

Feb 29, 2016

Neighborhood Meeting: Wednesday, March 2nd 6:30 p.m. at MSCC

Mt. Scott-Arleta N.A. meetings are always held the first Wednesday of every month, at 6:30 p.m., in the Mt. Scott Community Center's Pool Room. Everyone who lives or works in the Neighborhood is a member of the Association, and anyone who attends two meetings is welcome to run for a Board position in May. Board members have an official vote on issues important to our neighborhood, but everyone is welcome to share your priorities and opinions.

This May we will have a few open positions, Chair, Vice Chair, Land Use Chair -- these are important and we hope neighbors who have an interest will join the team. You won't be stepping into any position blindly, us chairs are still around and are HAPPY to teach you the ins and outs of the neighborhood board. After 4/5 year runs some of need a bit a break. Put on that volunteer hat and help us shape our future. 

This week we will be learning about the sewer project that is happening in the neighborhood and is expected to last for the next year. There has been a lot going regarding houselessness not just in the city in general but in our neighborhood in particular. One of our board-members has tried to craft a compassionate and realistic stance for our Neighborhood Association. How could this be improved? Give us your feedback!"  The City of Portland is seeking neighborhood input.  We will also let you know the ways you can get involved in the SE Clean Air advocacy work that is happening on multiple fronts.  I promise to put together a list of resources and will post to the blog within the next day or so. 

Did I mention you should join the neighborhood board?! 

We hope to see some new faces on Wednesday! 

Erika Palmer-Wilson
Board Chair 

March22016MSANAAgenda (1)

DRAFT Modelhomelesspermitletterdocx

Feb 3, 2016

Want to know what your Neighborhood Association is talking about?

The Mt. Scott-Arleta Neighborhood had its February meeting tonight.  Want to know what we've been discussing?  Want to see if your interests are on the agenda or a topic of discussion?  Skim the minutes of the last two months of meetings, and put our March meeting on your calendar now!

- January 2016 minutes
- February 2016 minutes

Mt. Scott-Arleta N.A. meetings are always held the first Wednesday of every month, at 6:30 p.m., in the Mt. Scott Community Center's Pool Room.  Everyone who lives or works in the Neighborhood is a member of the Association, and anyone who attends two meetings is welcome to run for a Board position in May.  Board members have an official vote on issues important to our neighborhood, but everyone is welcome to share your priorities and opinions.

Please visit the meeting on March 2nd at 6:30 p.m., and see how we can all work together to make our neighborhood the place we all LOVE to live!

Farewell and Thanks!

Dear neighbors,

I wanted to express gratitude for the Neighborhood Association system and in particular the opportunity to serve on the Mt. Scott-Arleta neighborhood board for the past four years with such thoughtful and caring fellow board members.
It’s been an honor to chair the meetings of people who are showing up to create community by working together for the benefit of everyone who lives, works, and plays here.

Dec 31, 2015

Neighborhood Meeting Next Wednesday (1/7/16) at 6:30 pm

Come out to the first neighborhood meeting of 2016 next Wednesday, January 7th from 6:30 - 8:00 pm at Mt. Scott Community Center. This year we hope to see more improvements to the Arleta Triangle (capping of the stone wall and prep-work for future hardscape of the plaza), a summer BBQ, more neighborhood v. neighborhood kickball games, and more apple cider making.

In 2015, our neighborhood volunteers completed our Neighborhood Street Tree Inventory; built a new stone wall at the Arleta Triangle; had tremendous turnout to our Annual Neighborhood Clean Up; played kickball with FoPo, Creston-Kenilworth, and Lents, and pressed over 650 pounds of apples for fresh apple cider.


If you would like to get involved in a neighborhood project or have a neighborly idea, event, or project that you would like to start please contact Erika at msana.chair@gmail.com. Hope to see you in 2016!

Dec 14, 2015

Neighborhood Fruit Trees Needing Your Help

Are you wanting to learn how to care for a variety of fruit trees by practicing in the neighborhood?
Our local Portland Fruit Tree Project is accepting applications to join their 2016 Tree Care Team at the Green Thumb Orchard near Brentwood Park.
Find out all about it at Portland Fruit Tree Project POSITION DESCRIPTION

Dec 1, 2015

Neighborhood Meeting Tomorrow (Dec. 2nd) 6:30 pm Mt. Scott Community Center

We have a neighborhood meeting tomorrow, December 2nd at 6:30 pm at Mt. Scott Community Center. ROSE CDC will be on hand to present a proposal for development on the vacant lot at 72nd and Foster just west of the Mercado.

December22015MSAAgenda (1)

Nov 9, 2015

Sign Up Now for Neighborhood Tree Planting!

Local non-profit Friends of Trees is still accepting orders for this season's neighborhood tree planting - but not for much longer! Sign up here to get your trees this winter or visit: https://friendsoftrees.org/plant.
Also this year, the city is making possible FREE conifers (y'know the evergreens with cones) for the planting strip in our neighborhood. Sign up to see if you're eligible for free trees! All other street trees are only $35!
This year's planting date is Jan. 16 but sign-ups will be closed soon so don't wait.

Nov 5, 2015

Tree Summit this Saturday - Join your neighborhood Tree Team!

This past summer you may have noticed your neighbors in bright yellow vests walking our streets looking curiously at trees in the public Right-of-Way. "We're tree inventory volunteers," they might have said. This Saturday Nov. 7 at Mt. Scott Community Center is your chance to find out all about what those volunteers were up to and what this year's Urban Forestry Tree Inventory found out. Register here: http://tinyurl.com/treesummit2015

Nov 3, 2015

Eat Pie at the Neighborhood Meeting tomorrow (6:30) Mt. Scott Community Center

We are celebrating November with PIE! We are also celebrating the new stone walls at the Arleta Triangle Project and will be discussing what's next. There's more coming. Also, we've been thinking about having a Cider Press Fundraiser later this month. More details tomorrow at the meeting so come get some pie!

November 4, 2015 MSANA Agenda

Oct 4, 2015

Neighborhood Meeting this Wednesday, October 7th 6:30pm Mt. Scott Community Center

Hey Neighbors,
We have our general meeting this Wednesday at 6:30pm at Mt. Scott Community Center. We'll have committee updates on the Arleta Triangle, Land Use, Communications, etc. Volunteers have been busy building a new walls in the Triangle. We hope to have the new walls complete by the end of fall and then we can work on some new native landscaping.

The Mayor has just launched a Residential Infill Stakeholder Advisory Committee and they are seeking input from neighborhoods. We'll be brainstorming Wednesday to send them our neighborhood thoughts on the good, bad, and ugly that we see going on.

Just a reminder that we are always looking for volunteers to help with projects such as the Arleta Triangle or if you have a project in mind for the neighborhood we are here for a resource to help you get started. We are always looking for those you would like to help with neighborhood outreach (newsletter, social media, neighborhood goodies, and parties!). If you have ideas, please share and help us make it happen.

Erika Palmer-Wilson

Jun 26, 2015

Neighborhood Meeting Next Wednesday, July 1st 6:30 pm at Community Center

Hello Neighbors! We are having a neighborhood meeting this Wednesday, July 1st at the Community Center at 6:30 pm. We will have presentation about Safe Routes To School and neighborhood committee updates. We will not have a meeting in August but there will be a movie in the park, 101 Dalmatians on Tuesday, August 25th. Also, be on the lookout for the SE Neighborhood Kickball Game information that will be coming out soon -- the fun and games will take place in August. Stay Cool.

July12015MSANAAgenda (1)

Jun 23, 2015

Proposed Climate Action Plan meeting, June 24 at City Hall

Sorry for the late notice.
On behalf of all City of Portland bureaus, the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability will present the proposed draft of the 2015 Climate Action Plan for adoption by Portland City Council on Wednesday, June 24. The plan updates Portland’s roadmap for the community to achieve an 80 percent reduction in carbon emissions by 2050, with an interim goal of a 40 percent reduction by 2030.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 2 p.m.
City Council Chambers, Portland City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Avenue, Portland

May 29, 2015

Master Recycling Booth at Lent's Farmer's Market

This Sunday, the 31st, marks the start of this season’s Lent’s International Farmer’s Market! Check out the list of vendors and more information here: https://www.facebook.com/lentsfarmersmarket?fref=ts

New this year will be a monthly Master Recycler booth with a team to answer questions or inspire you to reduce-reuse-recycle in your home or around the area. Come find us the last Sunday of every month during the Farmer’s Market’s 2015 season!
This Sunday, learn what goes where...